Friday, January 31, 2014

Blogging Grasshopper Jungle by Andrew Smith Part 4


I'm getting behind on these. Damn the snowpocalypse!

I'm actually further along in the book than I'm going to blog about today, but I'm trying to keep these somewhat uniform. So I finished Part 1: EALING the other day, actually, but I'm blogging about it today, because.

These are the sections that I read that day: THE TRAPDOOR • HUNGRY JACK • JOHNNY'S THINGS • [REDACTED] • BLUE LIGHT • PRIORITIES • [REDACTED] • HISTORY IS FULL OF SHIT

I love that I'm finally getting to redact some of these.

These are some of the best lines from those sections:

I have read that the human memory for smells is one of the most powerful bits of data that can be etched into our brains.

The pictures were there to remind us what good teenage boys do with their hands.

I desperately wished they'd stop talking about the penis in the jar, but Grant and his friends were like lonely parakeets in front of a mirror.

It's difficult to avoid the truth when you're undressed.

Aren't those some great lines?

My favorite part about this part is that the plot really begins to come alive. I mean Andrew Smith novels are not about plots, they're about characters, but of course every story has a plot, and this one does not disappoint. I won't give it away or anything, but there's something that happens in one of these sections, that when I first read the book a few years ago, literally made me sit up and say, "Holy shit!" Like out loud, and everything.

You know what I mean.

1 comment:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

That last line brings back memories...